Department of Landscape Architecture
Initially established in 1924 and later revitalized under the leadership of Professor Ian McHarg in the 1960s, the Department of Landscape Architecture and Regional Planning is recognized around the world for its pioneering contributions to ecological planning and design. Today, the Department advances this legacy through its commitment to innovative design as informed by ecology, the history of ideas, techniques of construction, new media, and contemporary urbanism. The work of both faculty and students reflects the ambitious character of the Department, and continues to be deeply influential internationally. Rapidly changing social and cultural conditions around the world require that future professionals will be able to respond with new concepts, forms and methods of realizing projects, and it is to the global future that we look.