Date of Award
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
The Apocryphon of John is one of forty nine works1 contained in a Gnostic library recovered in 1945 by peasants digging in a cemetery in upper Egypt.2 The site is at the foot of Jebel et Tarif, near the villages of Debba and Hamra-Doum. Sometimes the find is identified by the name of the nearest town, Nag Hammadi, and sometimes by the name of the ancient village, Chenoboskion, famed for the nearby monastery of Pachomius. The locale is north of the great bend in the Nile, about 100 kilometers downstream fro Luxor.
Helmbold, Andrew K., "The Apocryphon of John: A Text Edition, Translation, and Biblical and Religious Commentary" (1961). Dropsie College Theses. 116.
Additional FilesHelmbold_BT_1392_A75_H46_1961_High Res.pdf (274259 kB)
Biblical Studies Commons, Comparative Literature Commons, Cultural History Commons, History of Religion Commons, Islamic World and Near East History Commons, Jewish Studies Commons, Religious Thought, Theology and Philosophy of Religion Commons