Date of this Version
Robert Singerman's Judaica Americana: A Bibliography of Publications to 1900 chronicles the decades prior to the twentieth century, a formative era for Jewish institutional development at a time when the Jewish community grew from 1,350 persons in 1790 to 1,050,000 in 1900. Taken as a whole, the bibliography provides extensive documentation of American Jewish communal activity.
The Union List of Nineteenth-Century Jewish Serials. Published in the United States lists all known Jewish newspapers, serials, yearbooks, and annual reports in the United States with an inception date prior to 1901, regardless of language, and even if issues of these serials no longer exist, or if the serials were merely projected for publication by their would-be sponsors. Included in this are relevant periodicals with a conversionist or antisemitic focus.
This dataset, produced from the docx file of Robert Singerman's bibliography represents 600+ publications. In an effort to make this data available for study, analysis, and reuse, Emily Esten reformatted the data as a CSV.
This data is currently available in CSV format. **The fields are as follows**:
- pid: The Singerman number as assigned in Judaica Americana, or with supp[S000] if part of the supplement
- asterisk: Rows noted by means of asterisk mean the compiler (Singerman) has not seen all of the monographic items presented in this row under holdings. This is further explained on xvi of Judaica Americana
- year: Years of active publication (entries marked with a question mark are estimates), separated by pipe. For anything with publications post-1900, listed as post-1900.
- full_entry: The full entry, as listed in Judaica Americana
- entry: The bibliographic entry, as listed in Judaica Americana
- author_editor: Last-Name, First-Name OR Institution OR Company, when known
- location: Geographic place of publication, written in city, state-abbreviation (ex. Philadelphia, PA)
- holdings: A list of library symbols separated by pipe. A selected list of library symbols can be found on pages i-iv of Judaica Americana. Those not included are standard ones utilized by the National Union Catalog, maintained by the Library of Congress.
- title: Title of the publication
- printer_publisher: First-Name Last-Name OR Institution OR Company, when known
- notes: Any additional information. A list of abbreviations can be found on pages v-viii of Judaica Americana.
- index: Any headers included in the index of the print edition of Judaica Americana associated with this pid.
This dataset is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (CC BY 4.0).
bibliography, ethnic relations, jewish periodicals, imprints, serials
Additional Filesunion_list_explanations.md (2 kB)
Explanations for headings in CSV
Date Posted: 29 May 2020