The Dropsie College for Hebrew and Cognate Learning [ http://www.library.upenn.edu/exhibits/rbm/at250/dropsie/ak.pdf ], chartered in March of 1907, was the first state-accredited academyouic institution in the world to confer Ph.D. degrees in Judaic Studies. By the time it closed its doors in 1986, Dropsie College had awarded over two hundred doctorates and dozens of M.A. degrees. In 1988, Dropsie reopened under a new name, ‘The Annenberg Research Institute,” at a new address, 420 Walnut Street, located in historic Center City Philadelphia, and with a new mission as a post-graduate research center. In 1993, it merged with the University of Pennsylvania and is today called the “Herbert D. Katz Center for Advanced Judaic Studies.”
The Library at the Katz Center (LKCAJS) is home to the institutional records and academic fruits of Dropsie College over the course of its eight decades of existence. According to the 1984-1985 annual Dropsie College Bulletin, pp. 44-58, the following degrees were conferred between 1912 and 1983:
- Doctor of Philosophy: 236
- Doctor of Education: 10
- Master of Arts: 17
- Master of Arts in Education: 18
The following honorary degrees were conferred:
- Doctor of Hebrew Letters, Honoris Causa: 20
- Doctor of Literature, Honoris Causa: 18
- Doctor of Humane Letters, Honoris Causa: 27
- Doctor of Laws, Honoris Causa: 28
The total number of degrees conferred (Ph.D., M.A., and Honorary) was 374.
Penn’s Scholarly Commons now provides digital reproductions of all the extant theses submitted to the College.