Careers in Academia and Industry: Transitions and Challenges
- Start the career planning process with self-discovery and feedback from mentors.
- Understand the setting, culture, organizational structure, and leadership of the organizations under consideration for one’s career.
- Understand the expectations of potential career paths.
- For personal development beyond hard knowledge and skills, acquire excellent people skills and a strong network.
- Careers are dynamic. Maintain flexibility. Moving between environments (academia vs. industry) can be challenging, but those who successfully navigate this do so with extensive planning.
This paper has been withdrawn.