Date of this Version
- Start the career planning process with self-discovery and feedback from mentors.
- Understand the setting, culture, organizational structure, and leadership of the organizations under consideration for one’s career.
- Understand the expectations of potential career paths.
- For personal development beyond hard knowledge and skills, acquire excellent people skills and a strong network.
- Careers are dynamic. Maintain flexibility. Moving between environments (academia vs. industry) can be challenging, but those who successfully navigate this do so with extensive planning.
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 4.0 License.
Shewale, Swapnil and Winston, Flaura
"Careers in Academia and Industry: Transitions and Challenges,"
Academic Entrepreneurship for Medical and Health Scientists: Vol. 1
, Article 3.
Available at: https://repository.upenn.edu/ace/vol1/iss5/3