Date of this Version
The present volume has been prepared in the hope that it will be of interest to visitors to the University of Pennsylvania and also to undergraduates, alumni, and other friends of the University who would be glad to have a brief outline of its present organization and activities, the extent of its physical equipment, and something of the origin of its many divisions.
In the arrangement of the material, it was found advisable not to give a strictly geographical account of the Campus and its buildings and of the departments of the University. Because of the belief that visitors and others will especially wish to learn how the University of Pennsylvania functions, the book has been organized on the basis of departments. Strangers to the Campus are urged to examine the map printed on the end-papers and to make full use of the index. If a considerable amount of space has been devoted to current research activities, which change from year to year, the reader will realize that no picture of the University at work would be complete without a description of the varied contribution to human knowledge that is continually being made. For a full account of the growth of the University from its Colonial roots to the present, the reader is referred to the History of the University of Pennsylvania, 1740-1940, by Edward Potts Cheyney, for fifty-one years an active member of the Department of History and since 1935 Professor Emeritus and Curator of the Lea Library of Medieval and Church History.
Additional Filesthe arts and sciences (chap 1).pdf (15435 kB)
The Arts and Sciences
the study of law (chap 2).pdf (2147 kB)
The Study of Law
teaching and research in medicine (chap 3).pdf (7863 kB)
Teaching and Research in Medicine
student life (chap 4).pdf (5307 kB)
administrative and other buildings (chap 5).pdf (408 kB)
Administrative and Other Buildings
index.pdf (256 kB)
Date Posted: 29 May 2008